Wednesday 28 January 2015

Book Review - Present Perfect by Alison G. Bailey



Honestly, when I picked this book up to read, I had a completely different idea about what the plot might be. I guessed this to be a fluffy teenage romance with the standard amount of angst in it. However, I was wrong...very wrong. This book is angst all wrapped up in the sweet packaging of romance. And yes it is sweet...so sweet that no matter what, it's damn hard to put the book down. 

**might be spoilers ahead**

The book is from the point of view of female lead, Amanda Kelly or Tweet. The book starts off with Tweet explaining how her life has been till now. She laments about being compared to but never been able to surpass her elder sister. Even so, she knows that for one person she will always be first - her best friend Noah. The readers are given glimpses into their past showing how this friendship started and then solidified over the years. And before long Tweet knows she was in love with him. The strength of their connection is hard to ignore and even the reader is left feeling the prefect-ness of this couple. Noah and Tweet make sense together...it's just like one of those thing that just can't not belong together.

But Tweet thinks otherwise. She decides to be just friends. This is the most frustrating part of the story. I felt a lot bad for Noah. Tweet did lead him on and their is even some second base action before our poor hero is shot down. My heart cried for Noah. You can't deny his immense love for his Tweet. It's like he knows how to live his life only because Tweet's in it...she is his life force and he can't bear to lose her. I have never cried so many tears as I did when I saw him again and again try and change Tweet's mind. I felt angry at Tweet for not having the courage to take a chance but I could also understand her reasons. As things progressed, I did agree with her decision. Feeling as she did about herself, Tweet would have always second guessed their relationship. Perhaps now wasn't the time to take it a step further. So, they remained friends.

From that point on, I read with a heavy heart. I was reading about too people who fucking loved the hell out of each other but weren't together. There are instances in the book that make you melt and then, there are scenes that leave you feeling like a wrung out rag. The story is so much more than just a simple teenage romance. You see Tweet grow up into this amazing woman who finally understands how much of a diamond she is and has the confidence to go after her man. And the happiness you finally feel for Noah, who after all those years secretly loving this one girl...gets her, is boundless. I wanted to jump up and down and yell for my boy.

The whole story is so bittersweet. Just when you feel things might finally be right, they take a turn for worse. And you feel like crap...and then angry for both Tweet and Noah. Through 70% of the book, I genuinely wanted to take these two characters together and just lock them in a room forever. 

I loved that this book didn't give me a rosy romance...that it gave me a story about a strong love. A love that had been tested and re-tested and then maybe tested some more. A love that didn't guarantee that nothing would go wrong but that things will be right again. A love that didn't promise a perfect future but made the present simply perfect.

The book was well written. At no point did I feel that I had lost interest. The story was quite well paced too.

If you are looking for a love story with substance, then this is the book for you.

5 stars for this book.





No comments:

Post a Comment